Silicone sealant is a paste-like substance that when applied in between gaps, makes the space airtight and watertight. Along with making the space airtight and watertight, silicone sealants also prevent the growth of microorganisms and fungus.
These characteristics keep the structures protected and increase their longevity by keeping hazardous intrusion away.
Silicone sealants are mainly used for large-scale construction but the efficiency of silicone sealants in bonding various substrates has led to their increased usage even indoors for several purposes.
Indoors, silicone sealant is mainly used for household repair, renovation and interior design. Another reason for the increased demand for silicone sealants for indoor purposes is their efficiency and ease of usage.
Other then the repair and fixings, silicone sealants are also used for interior design purposes. Architects and interior designers are relying heavily on silicone sealants for art and design installation in homes, offices, cafes and other interior spaces.
The reason behind architects and interior designers choosing silicone sealants is the availability of sealants in multiple colours. Silicone sealants also come with a clear texture and hence when applied provide strength to the structure without damaging the aesthetic look.
If you look around your door closed, you will see a white coloured line running around the door, enclosing the minute space existing between the door and wall. This white line is white-coloured silicone sealants.
This is just one of the many places where silicone sealant is applied indoors. It is also applied between tiles, around sinks and much more.
There are many more reasons besides the above-mentioned benefits of silicone sealants, that make the silicone sealant best for indoor fittings.
Why are Silicone Sealants best for Indoor Fittings?
1. Silicone sealant adheres to multiple substrates like wood, glass, ceramic, granite and more. These materials are used in furnishing and designing the interiors of a space. Thus, silicone sealant becomes the top choice of material for indoor design and renovation as 1 sealant works on multiple surfaces.
2. Silicone sealants provide quick and permanent solutions to many home problems. The application of silicone sealants can stop the problem of leakage. It is because after applying sealant the space becomes watertight.
Other than that, it can be used to fill cracks. Applying silicone sealant between cracks gives a clean finish as they blend with the wall colour.
(Silicone sealants are available in a range of colours, mainly white, black, grey, brown and clear)
3. Using silicone sealant is a safe choice for residents. This is because unlike other chemical formulations silicone sealants are LOW VOC. It means that it doesn’t emit harmful chemicals into the air and keeps the space safe.
4. Indoor silicone sealant is also used because of its flexibility. Neutral Silicone Sealant, one of the types of silicone sealants, is used to fill gaps between wooden cabinets, it blocks the passage and also provides flexibility.
5. There is a category of sealant known as Acryfill Sealant. The seal produced by this category is super thin and paintable. This quality of Acryfill Sealant makes it ideal for application around door frames and tiles.
Not only it easily glides down through the tiniest of spaces but can also be painted afterwards. The quality of the paintable seal allows it to maintain and change the interior of the space as and when required.
6. For hardware, silicone sealants are used because they are waterproof and weatherproof. Neutral Sanitary Sealant is used for fitting sanitaryware. Basically, it is applied to places where there is going to be a constant flow of water.
The seal remains unaffected by not reacting to acids, water, and cleaners used in the washroom and keeps the structures intact.
7. The application of sealant keeps the interior safe by securing doors and windows. Silicone sealant is applied around the window to block out water, virus and other harmful intrusions.
8. After understanding the many characteristics of silicone sealants, one must know that silicone sealants have outstanding durability, lasting 5-8 years. The durability of silicone sealants reduces the cost spent on repair and renovation by lasting long.
9. Easy to use, silicone sealants that are available in cartridge form are very easy to use. Making silicone sealant a perfect DIY partner that can be used and applied by amateurs too.
DIY silicone sealants are found in the General Purpose category of silicone sealants. The sealants available in this category are super handy. They can be used for basic home repairs and fixings.
Where can Silicone Sealants be used Indoors?
- To secure gaps around doors, cabinets and windows.
- For repairing leakage problems appearing through ceiling or sidewalls
- In washrooms, for the fitting commode, sinks, taps and other sanitaryware appliances
- Covering up the spaces amongst tiles
- Installation of artefacts and other showpieces
- Aquarium silicone sealant can be used to build an aquarium indoors
- It is used to fill cracks appearing in walls
- Fixing a broken statue, vase and other artefacts
- Mounting mirror for adding an element to a room
Things to consider before buying Silicone Sealants for Indoors
Depending upon the purpose of use, one should check the durability of the sealant. If it is to be used for a temporary fix, any sealant from the General Category will do. For permanent work and fixtures, other categories must be explored.
To learn about other categories tap here.
2. Ease of Using
Silicone sealants are mainly available in two types of packaging-
A. Silicone Sealant Cartridges
B. Silicone Sealant Sausages
If you are choosing silicone sealant for DIY purposes then select a cartridge as it can be applied easily through a silicone sealant gun. But if it is needed to be applied in large quantities one should choose Silicone Sealant Sausage.
Certain silicone sealants can stain specific surfaces like marble and stone in the process of application.
For application on such sensitive surfaces use any sealant from the Neutral Category as they don’t stain.
4. VOC Content
As mentioned above, VOC means the emission of chemicals from the formulation. Silicone sealants are mostly LOW on VOC and so are preferred for interior usage.
Besides this, there are certain applications like building an aquarium that demands 0 VOC emission and for it, Aquarium Silicone Sealant must be selected.
Keep these 4 points in mind and you will land with the perfect silicone sealant.
Silicone sealants are the best for indoor fittings due to the above-mentioned benefits and more.
If you are looking for world-class quality silicone sealant for home renovation, office designing and other indoor purposes contact Bondzil.
Bondzil is one of the finest silicone sealant manufacturers in India. Supplying best quality silicone sealants to USA, Europe, Africa, and India.